Thursday, April 22, 2010

Gooey S'mores Brownies

When I said that this next post would feature roasted marshmallows



I meant a whole lot of roasted marshmallows. Roasted marshmallows on top of some chewy, chocolately brownies, finished off with a graham cracker crust. S'mores -- in brownie form.



The gooey marshmallows on top made these a little hard to serve, but it was worth it. My favorite part of cheesecake has always been the graham cracker crust. So crumbly and buttery.



I stole this recipe from Jessica at How Sweet Eats and modified it a little. She had a bit of a hard time with the brownies being underdone, so I have to admit, I was a little terrified when I started this project. But, since I only had 3 left after 24 hours, I'd say they were a success.

Preheat the oven to 350 ° F

Graham cracker crust:
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 stick butter, melted

Combine the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter and stir until crumbs are evenly coated and sticking together. Press into the bottom of a 9x13 cake pan.

Brownies:
I'm a little embarrassed to say that I cheated and used a box. Ghiradelli double chocolate brownie mix, to be precise. If I'm going to cheat with a mix, at least it's a good one, right?

Prepare as directed on the box, and spoon over the graham cracker crust. It will be tricky to spread it evenly over the pan without picking up the crumbs, so just do your best. I definitely didn't notice the crumbs all mixed up in the batter, and I definitely had more than a few!

Because of the crust, you'll need to adjust the cooking time. Add 15 minutes to whatever the box says. Test with a toothpick when you think they're done, of course.

Allow to cool completely (or cool a bit, since I was impatient and wanted to try the finished product).

Marshmallows:
About half a bag of jet-puffed marshmallows

Spread marshmallows evenly over the surface of the brownies. They'll expand in the oven, so don't worry about spaces between them.

Broil for about 10 minutes, watching carefully to make sure they don't burn. Of course, some people like burned marshmallows on their s'mores. Definitely not me. Personally, I like them a nice, rich golden brown. Which is just how my marshmallows turned out.

Let fully cool and serve. The marshmallow will be sticky, so the pieces are difficult to separate. Maybe this is a sign that you should eat 2... or 3... or a whole row, just to make the serving process easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
/* ----Tracker------- */